Tuesday 20 December 2011

Oh, the sweet taste of Freedom!

I am so sorry I haven't written in so long! It really is appalling that I failed to update but I've been rather busy. So. Here is what has happened since I last wrote.
Okay, so you know I was having trouble with my nose? Well, it got worse and worse and worse until it was so painful that I had to have constant ice otherwise I wailed and screamed in pain. Yay. Anyway, to make things worse- on the Sunday night my knees started to really hurt. I went in to Addenbrookes on Monday 12th for my last dose of OEPA chemo- but I was crying and my blood pressure was up because I was in pain and I was generally tearful and not well. So my lovely oncologists Dr Burke and Ramya looked at my throat and my nose and my knees and they said that I should be admitted.
So, I was then admitted onto the childrens cancer ward where I was swabbed and looked at and then hooked up to IV antibiotics. Joys. So, anyhoo- they had me on two or three different types of IV antibiotics and two types of painkillers, and an anti-fungal thing. Turns out I had a couple of viruses and an ulcerated cold sore in my nose. So, they put me in a barrier room for a night so i couldnt pass it on to the other kids, and also put me on an IV antiviral.
So, I was in hospital only a couple days when things took a turn for the awful. My knees, which hadnt been TOO bad until then, suddenly seemed to be the thing causing me agony. I couldnt move for pain, and even heat treatments wouldnt work. The physiotherapist, Laura, came to see me though, and she gave me excercises and organised for me to have a TENS machine on them [the machine they use for pregnant ladies]- which worked. I still couldnt walk without pain though, unfortunately. In fact, I still cant and Im out of hospital.
Anyhow, I had been in hospital five days when my friends came to see me. First it was Phoebe and Laura- who brought presents and biscuits made by Eleanor- and smiles and hugs and gossip. Then Matt, Jordan and Becky came to see me on the Friday and they also brought gifts and cards and smiles and gossip and hugs! It was so nice to see them as I hadnt had any real teenage contact in weeks, and was having withdrawal symptoms.
Then, everything was going well and I was planning to go home on the Saturday but my temperature spiked and they had to keep me for observation- then it spiked again and they had to put me back on antibiotics. Over the weekend the lovely Reeds visited me, and we had Costa tea and coffee and chatted...which was lovely [thank you Reeds for visiting me and the uber-huge box of Cadburys chocolates :)!]
On Monday they let me out [with a whole trunk load of drugs I have to take daily -.-] and I have started properly looking forward to Christmas. So, though I have to take 2 types of painkillers, and 3 other oral medicines- not to mention 2 different types of nasal cream- Im really glad to be out.
I have planned a mini christmas get together with my friends, and Im REALLY looking forward to Christmas Day with the family.
Today was fun, though. After a rather lousy nights sleep, I woke up quite weepy and depressed [as you do some mornings when you realise you have to spend a christmas with cancer], but Mum and Dad took me to La Hogue Farm Shop and we looked at the christmas barn and they had an evil sheep that kept glaring at me, then we shopped at the food store and got cheese! And then we at soup and drank tea at the cafe...yum!
After all this exciting stuff we went to Waitrose and bought all the food for my Christmas get together [Mexican nom nom...] and generally did a big shop.
So, that was my day... Exciting stuff, eh? ;)
Anyway, Im pretty knackered so Im going to go- but I shall keep you posted!!
Much Love!
Befuddled and taking an annoying amount of medication Baldy <3 xoxoxoxox




2 comments:

  1. Hi Lily, I'm an old friend of your Mum's, we used to waitress together years and years and years ago ;). Been reading your blog and it's great - you're a star and I really hope you get to enjoy your Christmas as much as you can without having to go back into hospital, sounds like you could do with a break ;).
    sending you lots of love and christmas and new year wishes,
    x Daisy (in Dublin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily..... What an amazing blog you have here! Thank you for sharing. We love you and will follow you on this journey.... We will pray for positive results and strong Drs. To take good care of you! Hope we can see you soon too...... Give hugs to your Mom and Dad and of course Lucy! xoxo from the Hoffmans in Texas

    ReplyDelete