Sunday 3 June 2012

The Sixteenth Year

Okay, wow. I really haven't written for aaaages! Terribly sorry....it's been kind of hectic. So...okay. March...and now its June. Right...well. Dad turned 50, which was fun. We went to Cambridge, and walked around and had a really nice day actually. To be quite honest not much happened until April 14th- which was when I FINALLY finished chemo!! Yaay!! Unfortunately Karma has a obsession with biting me on the arse and as soon as I got excited about chemo finishing I got hit by something called 'Peripheral Neuropathy' which is basically temporary nerve damage [kind of]...Its just another way of m body complaining about the myriad of drugs its been pumped with. So I'm now in a wheelchair and have been since April- although I am decidedly more mobile this week than I have been for a month. And then everything seemed to go downhill from there. I almost completely lost my appetite, and just got more and more nauseous. Mum had her birthday on the 5th of May...a bit of a disaster, really. We went to Kentwell Park [they had a Tudor day thing] and it was NOT wheelchair friendly and it was hellish! And then we went for a meal at 'Ask'...which was awful. And then later on that night, I started throwing up. So we owe Mum a proper Birthday...!! And then on the 8th I started Radio...which was a DISASTER. Believe it or not, I found it worse than chemo. It was more intense, and the sickness was horrendous. I was sick from Thursday until Saturday- and I was throwing up so much that on Saturday they had to take me to Addenbrookes...and then I very slowly got a bit better until Thursday. The Oncologists told me I was well enough to go home and that they were worried I was becoming 'reliant' on the hospital...even though I protested I WASNT well enough. Nevertheless, they sent me home and I was throwing up all night, and the next morning and screaming and crying and generally the worst Ive felt- EVER. And then when we went back into Addenbrookes [I still had to continue with the radio]- Addenbrookes said they had no room. So they sent us to be admitted into West Suffolk, in Bury. They put me on fluids [with extra Potassium] and IV paracetamol because I couldnt keep down ANY pain meds, and IV ondansetron. And then on Saturday Katherine Piccinelli, my paediatrician there, came to see me and put me on IV anti-reflux to help with the acid and IV buscopan to help with the stomach cramps. Saturday was starting to look up...but then on Sunday it all went downhill!! I was awake for 7 hours of the day, and in that time managed to throw up 12/13 times! And then Monday came and I had radio again and that was awful, but we talked to the radio team and they said that they were going to try a new anti-sickness that the oncologists didnt really want me having. Its a steroid-based antisickness and because I was on such a high dose of steroids for chemo they didnt really want me having any more [it can cause osteoporosis later on in life]. But I was reaaaally sick, and to be quite honest it was a miracle drug! By Tuesday evening I was eating again for the first time in two weeks, and drinking more! And then on Thursday I finished radio and felt a lot better than I had in AGES! And staying in West Suffolk was amazing, even though I did have to travel to Addenbrookes every day for radio I actually preferred it because I didnt feel like they wanted to kick me out all the time and I felt very safe and cared for. And Katherine was GREAT, she always comes up with efficient plans of action that suit me and doesnt act like Im difficult when I dont want sedatives!
And then Dadda came home on Thursday, which was nice! And I started getting Birthday cards and presents and I got my appetite back- in a BIG way... And I went home on Sunday...!
On Monday 28th, I turned 15!! I am now in my sixteenth year! It was a pretty laidback day to be honest, because everyone was shattered! But we went to Cambridge so I could look for a Nintendo to buy, and I endedup getting some cuddly toys, a board game and some books with my birthday money. And we got fish and chips [my dinner of choice] for tea, and played board games and watched 'Made in Chelsea'. And I got LOTS of money, and the most GORGEOUS camera from my Mum and Dad and amazing jewellery and wow, just the most amazing range of EVERYTHING!! Including a visit from my Head of Year, Mr Murphy- who dropped off two massive presents from my year which was so, so generous and so, so kind!! And then on Wednesday my friends popped around with presents [and money they had raised for my birthday!]...and THE most amazing, kindest, most tear jerking and yet funniest video I have ever seen! Thank you to everyone for that! So, yeah. Im now half of 30...which is scary but I guess considering everything- pretty amazing that I've made it this far!
After my friends came on Wednesday I was pretty tired, so everyone just chilled and hung out watching TV...and then on Thursday we went out to Prezzo for a meal with Pete and Kath, Mawsie and Chris, Michael and of course my cousin Elliot- who turned 15 on the 29th. Its actually pretty weird because our other cousin- Georgia- who is Pete and Kaths first child, shares the same birthday as Lucy! So if I was born 24 hours later, or Elliot 24 hours earlier- our families kids would have the smae birthdays! Weiiird! Anyhoo. I was stupid and decided that red pesto [which Im not allowed on my immuno-suppressed diet because of the parmesan] couldnt do me any harm in a small quantity. So I had a spicy red pesto pasta. Which was disasterous, as steroids and spicy foods should NOT be mixed....unless you're masochistic. So that night I felt like someone had kicked me several times in the stomach and then fire breathed down my trachea. Pleasant. Not. But on the up side...I had crab cakes to start which tasted amazing! And I had vanilla panacotta for the first time ever for desert and that was amazing! Weird, but amazing- and Mum loved it too! And then on Friday we went to Bury and test drove some cars and then we went into town and I bought stuff from Paperchase [I really LOVE that shop...its an obsession...] and then we went for a walk to Clement Joscelyn, which is closing down, in the hopes to buy some furry christmas reindeer heads but found that it had already been cleared and closed! Disappointing... So to cheer us up and shut up my stomach [steroids..] we stopped off at the pasty shop to get a pasty for me and Dad and a cup of hot potato wedges...and then of course Poundland to buy chocolate buttons and 'Time Out' bars! Yum nom nom...
Saturday was sad...not much happened, and then lots happened. Lucy and Grandma and Granda went to a matinee performance of 'Whistle down the wind' that Lucys friend was in, and I went with Mum to Heathrow to drop Dad off. I wished he didnt have to go, but unfortunately his work needed him. I was even hoping for maybe gale force winds or something so he couldnt fly- but those things only happen when you really DON'T want them to. Grr. On the way back, Mum and I stopped at a service station like we usually do because I really fancied fries. And then felt guilty for eating rubbish so had to go to the mini- Waitrose to buy salad and fruit! And then ended up getting laughing cow cheese aswell! For some weird reason Im really fancying jam doughnuts...but we dont have any. Damn.
Then when we came home we watched the final of the Voice. Bo or Vince should've won, but hey ho. Noone I like ever wins those programmes... Argh. Then today I slept in a bit [till half 10!] and then we went to Pets at Home to get something for Truffle and ended up "ooohing" and "aaahing" over the ridiculously cute bunnies and guinea pigs. And then there were these cute fishes that looked deformed but that was WHY they were cute... :) They were like the pugs of the fish world! Then we went jubilee shopping in the mini Asda and I bought a LOT of Sunny D, and some flumps marshmallows, and ginger ale...and ooh! alphabetti spaghetti! I havent had that since I was a kid so I was sooo happy to find them! So, yom nom nom!! Ooh, and I bought some jubilee antennas!!
And then we came back and we had roast lamb [yum!] and watched the Jubilee flotilla...and then we watched 'Shes the Man' followed by 'Bruce Almighty' and then the tribute to the Queen by Prince Charles...which was so sweet!

You know, Im going to have to rethink this Blog name- Im not so bald anymore!! My hair is coming back...slowly, but it's definitely coming back! And then this Wednesday Im having my hickman line out and after that Im pretty much free! Yay! Ill be able to have a shower and not a horrible, difficult, shallow bath! Yay!! Exciting! Im a little nervous, as I hate anaesthetic or any kind of sedative...but oh well! Its only a little one, and it signifies THE END!! Woop woop- YAY!!

Much Love to you all, I hope some of you are still reading and havent lost interest! So sorry it took so long to write this...

Befuddled Baldy <3 xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment