Sunday 29 December 2013

In the beginning there was... anger, apparently

At the beginning of all this- cancer, I mean- I used to be so horrible to everyone around me. Like, so selfish and nasty and would snap at everyone and get really annoyed if I didn't get what I wanted. I was particularly horrible to family and friends (my folks, mostly) and I do regret that. But I hope that they know it wasn't me. Well, it was. But it wasn't- if you see what I mean. 
I think cancer can do that to a person. I was just so angry at what had happened, so angry that I had lost EVERYTHING- so angry that I now saw some things that I was perfectly fine with before, but suddenly didn't accept. I don't think I ever stop to think what other people were losing around me, or by acting so pathetically that I was causing them to lose ME.
Then when I was given the all clear for the second time, I had this strange sensation that I was missing something. That I wasn't ready to let go of the cancer, that I had lived with it for what had seemed an age and it was MINE, that it defined me. I remember crying, crying because it was over but also crying because I wanted it back. None of the horrible parts obviously, like the infections or the pain or the sickness and definitely not the fatigue- but cancer somehow gave me purpose. Like I had something to fight/fight for suddenly. Well, until I got a chest pain one afternoon in school and then the paranoia that I would have to do it all over again kicked in. Didn't love the cancer so much after THAT.
I suppose when I was re-diagnosed, I had this panic that I would be exactly how I was before and lose friends because of it (actually, turns out having cancer loses you friends anyway, no matter how you try to be nice) or that I would not actually be able to fight it and forever be known as the girl who was horrible right before she kicked it from cancer. That's why I decided to be better, to try to think of other people and get out more rather than lying on the sofa feeling utterly sorry for myself. It was sort of like a do-over of my cancer experience. I mean, I hated having cancer half the time; the infections, the agony, the staring in the street, the hair loss, all of it was horrific and I wouldn't ever wish it upon anyone or ever go through it again- but it's part of me now, and I'm glad I acted like I did the second time round (for the most part). Cancer doesn't define me, but it did make me who I am now. Hopefully that's a better person, a nicer person, but only time against number of friends will tell that (joking). Right now, in this moment, among every other moment from now on, I feel like I can fully live without my cancer. Not without my 'cancer friends' that I met along the way, or without remembering what it was like, or how I got through it, but just without that tumour and without the chemo. It seems strange saying how I can FINALLY live withOUT it, but I think that any way of life becomes normal if you live it long enough- and although it's nice being better, truthfully I miss some of the days where I only had to worry that I wasn't going to make it home from chemo in time to watch the Kardashians, or that my biggest stress was that I had slept through Made In Chelsea while in hospital and they don't have catch up TV. And I know that they weren't my only worries- like I had the 'will the neuropathy come back' or 'will I be sick with this one' or 'will I be in pain forever' or even the 'will I die' at some points, but all of them seemed normal to me, and getting back to normal life is much harder than leaving it, I've found.
I'm glad I'm getting back now. It's nice, it's like coming home after a long trip and being jet lagged and knowing you have to unpack all the suitcases is overwhelmingly stressful but you're happily tired because nothing can take away the fact that you're HOME.

In the words of Gloria Gaynor, I WILL Survive.

Love to you all (or whatever is left of you), Befuddled <3

P.S- I wrote this at 3am so please don't take any of what it says to be anything less than my subconscious rambling about the silliest things. Much Love, B x


No comments:

Post a Comment